STUDENT SELF ASSESSMENT
This form assists your college counselor in writing your recommendation. The more specific details you can give us, the more thorough your college recommendation will be. This form will also help you with the entire college application process, especially in preparing for interviews and writing admission essays. Expect to spend three or four hours on this task, which should result in a document of three to eight pages.
- School activities: List the activities in which you have participated, the number of years and the amount of time per week you spent, and what you have gained or learned from each activity. Consider artistic, athletic, literary, community service and leadership positions.
- Which activity was most important to you? Why?
- What do you consider your most important activities outside of school? List jobs, paid or voluntary; religious activities; hobbies; travel; music; art; and drama. Include the number of years of your involvement and the amount of time you spent on the activity weekly, and explain why this activity was significant to you.
- In or out of school, which awards and honors have you received? Which elected offices have you held?
- What book(s) have had the greatest impact on you? Why?
- Describe the academic accomplishment (major paper, science experiment and/or artistic project) you are most proud of, and tell why you take pride in it.
- What kind of learner are you? Which academic setting or assignments make you thrive? What interests you?
- List your three most distinguishing or most admirable qualities. Explain each in several sentences.
- What do you hope to accomplish in college and after? Consider your career goals and your broader goals.
Source: Jim Bell, Lick-Wilmerding High School, California.Handout 5E page 2 of 2.College Counseling Sourcebook, 7th Edition. © 2012 The College Board. All rights reserved.Permission granted to copy this for educational purposes.
COUNSELOR’S REQUEST FOR TEACHER INFORMATION
Teacher: _ ________________________________________________________
Date needed: ____________________
____________________________ has asked me to write a letter of recommendation to/for
____________________________. To provide a more complete picture of this student, I need your assistance. Please briefly assess the student in the following areas:
- Academic achievement:
- Personal qualities:
- Special talents:
Please cite specific events and unusual circumstances whenever possible. Thank you for your help.
Source: Joy Ahmad, Del City High School, Oklahoma Handout 5F College Counseling Sourcebook, 7th Edition. © 2012 The College Board. All rights reserved.